If you are travelling to Laos, either for a short visit or for a longer stay, it is important to know what you should or shouldn’t do in this country.
Laotians are hospitable, friendly and soft people. They have a very relaxed attitude to life. You should have no troubles navigating Lao culture and interacting with locals as long as you use your head, eyes and your common sense
- Practice a formal greeting for Lao people such as the “Nop” and handshakes
- Dress and behave modestly , especially in religious shrines or temples
- Keep you head lower than Buddha and monks.
- Take your shoes off and leave them outside the house or on stairs when entering a Lao person;s home
- Accept any water that Lao people serve you even if you don’t want to drink.
- Touch Lao people’s heads
- Expose too much skin
- Wear shoes in temple Buildings
- Touch the Buddha
- Turn your back on the Buddha
- Use plastic bags and return rubbish to towns or villages.
- Raise your voice to Lao people, especially in public.
- Expose the feet when sitting down, rest the feet on tables or chairs and gesture with the feet.
- Step over someone and food
Most embassies in Laos locate in the beautiful capital of Vientiane. Below is list of some Embassy for tourists to contact in case you have some troubles during your traveling.
Laos is general is still a cheap place to travel, though you can easily spend a great deal on accommodations and food in Luang Prabang. When traveling in Laos, you can use U.S dollars.
Laos is an ideal shopping center for ones who love handicraft and traditional things. Stepping foots on traditional outdoor markets, tourists will be overwhelmed by its variety of colors, kinds and...
Being a continental country endowed with many amazingly beautiful landscapes and ancient buildings, along with a long-lasting culture, tourists coming to Laos will have a chance to practice many...
Unlike Western countries, transportation is something nonsense, or Thailand and Vietnam, transportation is a disturbing problem, transportation in Laos is something interesting and funny to talk...
A visa on arrival is usually a tourist visa (good for 30 days stay). Some times business and other type of visas can be picked up on arrival as well provided that you have arranged everything ahead...